Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Blog #2

David Weinberger makes several key points in Everything Is Miscellaneous. I found the subject of organization to be quite interesting and had never related it to the subject of technology before. It makes sense though; technology does require a lot of organization. One of the key points Weinberger makes is that every person’s preference of categorization varies, based on their interests, passions, needs, and dreams. Along the same lines, Weinberger notes that alphabetical categorization doesn’t always work. I thought this was interesting because a lot of people tend to choose alphabetical categorization first, but sometimes that way of organizing may not be the most efficient. With the advancement of technology and the abundance of new information, new ways of categorizing information are needed.

In my life I tend to keep one thing organized, my planner. I used to catalog my movies and cds but over the years I realized that I didn’t need to be so anal. If my copy of Love and Basketball went missing, oh well, at least someone else will get to enjoy it. Nowadays I keep my planner organized and that pretty much keeps the rest of my life organized as well. I use different colored highlighters for different things and make lists on every other page. Keeping my planner organized helps keep me organized because I always know where I need to be and what I need to have done. Now that I think about it, I do keep one other thing organized, my closet. My closet is organized by season and color; it makes things so much easier when I’m looking for something specific.

6 comments:

  1. I too keep a calendar or planner organized but it is on the computer so I do not need highlighters or the physical planner. My calendar is synced between all my computers, the web, and even my phone. Not only that, I can enter in reminders for appointments, something a traditional planner can't do. Never the less, we all have some way of organizing our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the exact same way in regards to keeping my planner organized! It is mind boggling to think of where I would be without my planner and all the symbols and highlights and side notes I write in it. Even with all the technology now to keep me organized there is just something about writing something down on paper that brings me peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In regards to your planner I am the same way. My planner is digital though. I like to use google calendar for the fact that I can be on any computer as well as use my iPhone to keep updated immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like that fact you organize your planner with so much detail, that it over all organizes your life and allows you not to fail. I have done similar organizing to my planner, just as you explained above, however mine only stays that organized the first 2 weeks of the semester and then i begin to lose motivation. It is a proven fact though that if you are very neat and organized and stick to your well organized planner, that you will be very successful in life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just discovering the joys of a planer. This is my last year in college and I am getting in rather late to the game. It sure is nice to know when things are due ahead of time. This is a really good example of organization and one I wish I would have though of before writing my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Decent post, but you need to do some work to illustrate to me that you did the reading. You can do this by being really specific about answering the prompt. You have a very general sense of the reading here, but for me to see you "get it" I need more in the way of specifics. Also, looking at the things I say to "pay attention to" in the reading prompt might give you a way to focus in a bit.

    ReplyDelete